Desperate times call for desperate measures! We’ve all been there – starving and nothing around for miles except a gas station with a Quicky Mart. Here are some options when you’re in a pinch.
1. Water. Most people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. If you know there are better options ahead, chug a bottle of water to hold off those hunger pains.
2. Nuts. A small serving of nuts will give you a serving of good-quality protein and fat. Look for dry roasted varieties.
3. Fruit. Most convenience stores sell single pieces of fruit, like oranges, apples and bananas. Combine with a small bag of nuts you’re on your way to a healthy snack!
4. Potato Chips. Yes, I did say chips but you must read the ingredients and make sure they have no hydrogenated oils, MSG or artificial ingredients. Ideally, chips are organic or non-GMO, but if you can’t find those then stick to brands with ingredient lists of potatoes, oil and salt. Avoid corn chips as they are likely to contain GMOs.
5. Yogurt. Look for full-fat organic if possible. If not, just make sure the one you choose does not contain any artificial sweeteners.
6. Dark Chocolate. Look for brands that list cacao as the first ingredient (instead of sugar).
7. Hard Boiled Eggs. Packed with protein, these little guys will keep your blood sugar stable and your tummy satisfied. Check labels to make sure the only ingredient is egg.
8. Peanut Butter Sandwich. When all else fails, this grade school lunch staple will keep your blood sugar – and energy – rolling’.
9. Energy Bars. Avoid brands with soy protein isolate and look for brands that contain over 10 grams of whey protein, hemp protein or pea protein.
10. Healthy Caffeine. Look for unsweetened iced tea from the fountain. Add lots of ice and a lemon. Avoid bottled, sweetened iced teas as they contain extra sugar and chemicals.